An organization is an enterprise of a Client. Each client must have at least one organization created by running the Initial Organization Setup process. The process of creating an organization ends after setting it as "Ready".
In other words, the process of creating an organization ends after setting it as "Ready" as Openbravo requires to perform a set of checkings which validate that the organization has been properly created and that the organization structure is valid. If an organization is not properly created Openbravo will display an error when trying to set it up as ready.
It is not possible to add new organization aboveOnce an organization is set as ready no changes can be made in the sense of that to the organization anymore. New organizations can be added but cannot be placed above the current organization but underneath or at the same level.
The Organization window allows to maintain the organizations created by the Initial Organization Setup process.
There are different type of data left to be entered or changed for an organization:
- the Legal Name of the organization, this name if any will be the one used in the financial and tax reports.
- the Summary level checkbox informs Openbravo if an organization is going to be a parent organization or not.
If an organization is set as summary it could be selected as "Parent Organization" while running the Initial Organization Setup process.
This flag can always be changed regardless the organization is already set us ready as it is always possible to add organizations underneath of an existing one.
- the Allow Period Control checkbox is only shown for "legal with accounting" organizations.
If enable it allows to select a Fiscal Calendar for which the corresponding fiscal periods can be opened or closed in the Open/Close Period Control window.
- Opening & Closing periods process impacts to the organizations underneath the "legal entity with accounting" organization.
- the organization's General Ledger.
For instance, legal entities with accounting organizations need to record and post the financial transactions such as invoices and payments to the ledger.
Openbravo allows to customize the way that the financial transactions are posted to the ledger, that means to customize the General Ledger configuration to meet the organization's needs.
This field is automatically defaulted by Openbravo, which means that a general ledger is created by default, if :
- a Localization Pack containing a localized chart of accounts module
- or an accounting csv file
- or the Generic Chart of Accounts Module
is installed and then selected while creating the organization by running the Initial Organization Setup process.
- the Default G/L Item for Funds Transfer is used to set default value for G/L Item parameter in Funds Transfer Process from the Financial Account.
This field group is collapse by default with following read only fields.
- the organization's Period Control Allowed Organization.
- the organization's Calendar Owner Organization.
- Calendar of the organization's Calendar Owner Organization.
- the organization's Legal Entity.
- the organization's Business Unit.
Above fields are automatically fetched and set with proper values when setting organization as ready.
An organization can have only one general ledger configuration assigned unless:
- the organization has its own one and besides inherits another one from its parent organization
- or if the advanced general ledger configuration feature is enabled at system level.
The way to allow an organization to have more than one general ledger configuration assigned is described below:
- As System Administrator set you own "template" as "In Development". Save.
- Once done navigate to the "Windows, Tabs, and Fields" window
- Find the "Organization" window
- Navigate to the "Tab" tab and double click on the "General Ledgers" tab
- Set it as "Active". Save.
- Above detailed steps shows the General Ledgers tab which allows to assign more than one general ledger configuration to an organization.
Food & Beverage (F&B) sample client shipped with Openbravo illustrates scenario 1 above:
- Every F&B sample client organization has been created by running the "Initial Organization Setup" process.
- The "F&B International Group" is an "Organization" Organization Type.
An Accounting csv file was selected while it was created same way as the "USD" currency, therefore this organization has the "F&B International Group US/A/Dollar" general ledger configuration assigned.
This general ledger configuration can also be shared by the organizations underneath, for instance "F&B US, Inc" and "F&B España S.A."
- Same way an accounting csv file was also selected while creating the "Legal with Accounting" organization "F&B España S.A." same way as EUR currency, therefore this organization has the "F&B España, S.A US/A/Euro" general ledger configuration assigned.
As a consequence of that "F&B España S.A." has two general ledger configurations assigned, its own one and the inherited one.
- Besides, each of the general ledger configurations mentioned above are linked to a different account tree or chart of accounts.
- Therefore, every time that a "F&B US Inc" transaction is posted to the ledger Openbravo opens a new window named "Journal Entries Report" which shows the journal entry created for the "F&B International Group US/A/Dollar" general ledger configuration in USD and in the corresponding accounts of a given Chart of Accounts.
- Every time that a "F&B España S.A." transaction is posted to the ledger Openbravo opens two new windows one per each general ledger configuration, one of them in USD and the other one in EUR, both of them in different accounts.
"Set as Ready" process takes into account below list of requirements per organization type:
- Organization type:
- No requirements
- Generic type
- to have a "Legal Entity" organization type up in the enterprise model tree.
- Legal without accounting
- not to have another "Legal Entity" organization type up in the the enterprise model tree.
- Legal with accounting
- to have its own general ledger configuration or an inherited one
- to allow period control
- to have a fiscal calendar assigned
Once an organization is set as ready:
- The organization newly created can not be moved up or down within the enterprise tree and can not be deleted.
- It is not possible to create new organizations up in the tree but underneath or at the same level
Information tab allows to add relevant information of an organization, information such as location and tax ID number.
Fields to fill in are:
- the organization Location
- the Tax ID number if required
- the DUNS number if any
- the User who will act as main organization Contact. This organization contact is used in some localized fiscal reports (Spanish fiscal reports), that requires a contact person.
- the purchase invoice number which will be used for payments. There are two options available:
- "Invoice Document Number" (internal number)
- or "Supplier's Invoice Number"
- Any of the above will be included in the payment description field to inform about the invoice number being paid.
- This also changes what is going to be shown in several purchase windows such as Add Payment button in purchase invoice or Add details in Payment Out
Finally the checkbox Tax Not Deductible allows to configure an Organization as a non tax deductible organization if enabled.
That is the case of Organizations like Public Sector organizations for which tax deduction is not allowed. In this case:
- the purchase tax is posted as an expense
- and the issued sales invoices are tax exempt
The field Sales Tax Exempt Rate allows to enter a by default exempt sales tax rate to be used in the sales invoices by the non tax deductible organizations.
Period control tab is a read-only tab which lists the fiscal calendar period status of an organization.
There are different values for "Period Status":
- Never opened, this is the initial status of a period which has not been opened yet. It is not possible to account transactions within a never opened period until it is opened.
- Open, which means that the period is opened for accounting. A period can be opened in the Open/Close Period Control window.
- Closed, which means that the period is closed for accounting. A closed period can always be re-opened in the Open/Close Period Control window.
- Permanently closed, which means that the period is permanently closed for accounting. A permanently closed period can not be reopened. Besides, the Close Year process also closes periods permanently once executed.
This tab can be used for searching for a period (i.e. Jan-12) and get its current status.
As shown in the image below the period January 2012 is closed for every single Document Category within the Organization F&B US Inc. which has the "US Calendar" assigned.
Data sets tab allows to view the reference data applied to the organization and informs in case there is any updated of a reference data applied availabe.
Relation of prioritized on hand warehouses of the Organization.
In this tab it is possible to define the organization's warehouse/s, that way the quantity on hand of an organization is the sum of the available stock of its warehouse/s.
It is possible to define the priority of each organization's warehouse/s therefore Openbravo proposes first the goods of the warehouse with a higher priority.
Full list of Organization window fields and their descriptions is available in the Organization Screen Reference.