There are different type of data left to be entered or changed for an organization:
- the Legal Name of the organization, this name if any will be the one used in the financial and tax reports.
- the Summary level checkbox informs Openbravo if an organization is going to be a parent organization or not.
If an organization is set as summary it could be selected as "Parent Organization" while running the Initial Organization Setup process.
This flag can always be changed regardless the organization is already set us ready as it is always possible to add organizations underneath of an existing one.
- the Allow Period Control checkbox is only shown for "legal with accounting" organizations.
If enable it allows to select a Fiscal Calendar for which the corresponding fiscal periods can be opened or closed in the Open/Close Period Control window.
- Opening & Closing periods process impacts to the organizations underneath the "legal entity with accounting" organization.
- the organization's General Ledger.
For instance, legal entities with accounting organizations need to record and post the financial transactions such as invoices and payments to the ledger.
Openbravo allows to customize the way that the financial transactions are posted to the ledger, that means to customize the General Ledger configuration to meet the organization's needs.
This field is automatically defaulted by Openbravo, which means that a general ledger is created by default, if :
- a Localization Pack containing a localized chart of accounts module
- or an accounting csv file
- or the Generic Chart of Accounts Module
is installed and then selected while creating the organization by running the Initial Organization Setup process.
- the Default G/L Item for Funds Transfer is used to set default value for G/L Item parameter in Funds Transfer Process from the Financial Account.
This field group is collapse by default with following read only fields.
- the organization's Period Control Allowed Organization.
- the organization's Calendar Owner Organization.
- Calendar of the organization's Calendar Owner Organization.
- the organization's Legal Entity.
- the organization's Business Unit.
Above fields are automatically fetched and set with proper values when setting organization as ready.
An organization can have only one general ledger configuration assigned unless:
- the organization has its own one and besides inherits another one from its parent organization
- or if the advanced general ledger configuration feature is enabled at system level.
The way to allow an organization to have more than one general ledger configuration assigned is described below:
- As System Administrator set you own "template" as "In Development". Save.
- Once done navigate to the "Windows, Tabs, and Fields" window
- Find the "Organization" window
- Navigate to the "Tab" tab and double click on the "General Ledgers" tab
- Set it as "Active". Save.
- Above detailed steps shows the General Ledgers tab which allows to assign more than one general ledger configuration to an organization.
Food & Beverage (F&B) sample client shipped with Openbravo illustrates scenario 1 above:
- Every F&B sample client organization has been created by running the "Initial Organization Setup" process.
- The "F&B International Group" is an "Organization" Organization Type.
An Accounting csv file was selected while it was created same way as the "USD" currency, therefore this organization has the "F&B International Group US/A/Dollar" general ledger configuration assigned.
This general ledger configuration can also be shared by the organizations underneath, for instance "F&B US, Inc" and "F&B España S.A."
- Same way an accounting csv file was also selected while creating the "Legal with Accounting" organization "F&B España S.A." same way as EUR currency, therefore this organization has the "F&B España, S.A US/A/Euro" general ledger configuration assigned.
As a consequence of that "F&B España S.A." has two general ledger configurations assigned, its own one and the inherited one.
- Besides, each of the general ledger configurations mentioned above are linked to a different account tree or chart of accounts.
- Therefore, every time that a "F&B US Inc" transaction is posted to the ledger Openbravo opens a new window named "Journal Entries Report" which shows the journal entry created for the "F&B International Group US/A/Dollar" general ledger configuration in USD and in the corresponding accounts of a given Chart of Accounts.
- Every time that a "F&B España S.A." transaction is posted to the ledger Openbravo opens two new windows one per each general ledger configuration, one of them in USD and the other one in EUR, both of them in different accounts.
"Set as Ready" process takes into account below list of requirements per organization type:
- Organization type:
- No requirements
- Generic type
- to have a "Legal Entity" organization type up in the enterprise model tree.
- Legal without accounting
- not to have another "Legal Entity" organization type up in the the enterprise model tree.
- Legal with accounting
- to have its own general ledger configuration or an inherited one
- to allow period control
- to have a fiscal calendar assigned
Once an organization is set as ready:
- The organization newly created can not be moved up or down within the enterprise tree and can not be deleted.
- It is not possible to create new organizations up in the tree but underneath or at the same level