Openbravo allows to manage mandatory and not mandatory accounting dimensions to be entered in the Dimensions section of the documents which can be post to the ledger.
Mandatory dimensions can be filled in or not depending on the document category being created. For instance "Business Partner" and "Product" are mandatory dimensions that need to be filled in a purchase invoice but can be filled in a G/L Journal.
There are two "mandatory" dimension at organization's general ledger configuration level which are:
- the "Account" as any document/transaction posted to the ledger needs to be posted in a ledger account (or subaccount in Openbravo terms) of a given account tree or chart of accounts.
- and the "Organization" as any document/transaction posted to the ledger needs to be posted in an organization's general ledger.
Besides, if an organization belongs to a Client which centrally maintains the accounting dimensions it is possible to add in this tab other dimensions such as the ones listed below which can even set as "mandatory" for the organization:
- Location From
- Location To
- Sales Region
On the other hand, let's take for instance an organization's general ledger for which below dimensions have been selected in this tab because the organization belongs to a client which does not centrally maintain the accounting dimensions:
- Mandatory dimensions:
- and Account
- Non mandatory dimensions which are set as "mandatory" in here:
- Business Partner, Product and Project
- Non mandatory dimension:
- Sales Region
Above configuration means that every time that a transaction of any kind (purchase invoice, sales invoice, G/L Journal) is posted to the ledger all the mandatory dimensions above must be entered while there is an option to enter sales region information if any.
- some dimensions appear on some transaction and some do not. That depends on the document being created. For instance:
- some dimensions appear either in the header and/or in the lines of the documents. That defaulted configuration can be changed only in the clients which centrally maintain the accounting dimensions and for the centrally maintained dimensions.