Master Data Management
One of the steps to take while setting up Openbravo is to define the master data to be used across other Openbravo application areas.
Openbravo "Master Data Management" helps to organize and centralize in a single repository the key data of the organization.
Having a single repository of data:
- avoids data duplication
- provides a unique way of data coding
- and is a key aspect for guaranteeing the coherence and tracking of business processes of any type.
Master data creation is one part of the overall Business setup flow in Openbravo and as any other setup it is required prior entering transactions.
Master Data Management key concepts
The key data of the company which are explained within this section are:
- Business Partner - a third party which can be an organization or a person in which a company has a business interest in or a business relationship with.
A business partner can be a customer, a supplier, a creditor or an employee.
A business partner can have different roles for a company. The same business partner can be a vendor as well as a customer.
- Business Partner Category - a group of "Business Partner".
Multiple Business Partner Categories can be created, according to the company's needs
- Payment Term - period(s) allowed to pay off the amount due. A vendor may demand cash on delivery or a deferred payment period of 30 days or more.
- Payment Method - acceptable forms of payment. Vendor may demand to be paid in cash, or by check or promissory note, etc...
- Discount - a deduction from the total amount of an invoice. Discounts can also be applied just to a line/few invoice line amounts.
Discounts can be made in advanced of its sales or after getting a certain volume of sales.
- Product - a good that is either bought or produced or a resource or service that is offered.
- Product Category - a group of Products.
- Product Characteristics - a way of defining characteristics for a product such as size, color, etc. Per any combination of these characteristics a product can be created based on the definition of its generic product. For example if the generic product has size and colour with values S, M, Green and Yellow then 4 products (SKU) will be created
- Unit of Measure - a unit of measure is a standard unit or combination of units to be used alongside the quantity of a product. For example liter, unit, kgs, etc.
- Attribute - a feature of a product such as color, size, packaging, etc.
- Attribute Set -a grouping of features of a product in a set, so that multiple attributes can be used for a product.
An attribute set might also be defined to include "Serial Number" and "Lot Number" as an additional product feature.
"Lot and Serial Numbers" are key product features used for product tracking purpose.
- Lot Number - a unique number given to a particular quantity or lot of a product/item.
- Serial Number - a unique number given to each unit of a product/item.
- Net List Price - an indication of the price for a product, used to determine the net unit price by applying a discount
- Net Unit Price - the price per unit that is used for products on orders and invoices
- Price List Schema - a template used to automatically populate a new version of a price list
- Price List - a list of products and its prices
- Price List Version - different version of a price list are created in order to make a clear distinction in prices based on time line or special event.
With the creation of different versions the historic data remain available for previous versions.
"Master Data Management" application area is split into:
- two main Master Data Windows which gather the Business Partners and the Products of the Enterprise
- and three separated folders which allow to split the setup of each master data type Business Partner Setup, Product Setup and Pricing Setup.
Please find below detailed description of all the windows of the Master Data Management application area.
Business Partner Setup
The "Business Partner Setup" folder allows to separately define the configuration of the business partners.
This involves the creation of the business partner categories and the establishment of payment terms and discounts.
- Business Partner Set
- Business Partner Category
- Invoice Schedule
- Payment Term
- Return Reasons
- Basic Discount
The "Product Setup" folder allows to separately define the configuration of the products.
This involves the creation of the product categories and the establishment of units of measure and product attributes.
- Product Characteristic
- Update Product Characteristics Description
- Unit of Measure
- Product Category
- Attribute Set
- Lot Number Sequence
- Serial Number Sequence
The "Pricing" folder allows to separately setup the basic configuration of the prices.
This involves the creation of the Price List Schema and the establishment of the Price Lists and Price List Versions.
- Business Partner Info
- Volume Discount
- Salary Category
- Create All Price Lists
- Discounts and Promotions