Modules:Dimensional Trial Balance
Multi-Dimensional Trial Balance
This module provides the Window and configuration required to run the Multi-Dimensional Trial Balance Report
- License: Commercial
- Category: Module
Multi-Dimensional Trial Balance Report is an enhanced version of the basic Trial Balance Report.
This report has been redefined to make use of the features provided by the new Integrated Business Analytics module, such as OLAP Cubes.
The result is a report that provides a solution for analytical analysis over the Trial Balance.
The Openbravo instance must be in MP25.1 or in a later one.
As System Administrator access the Window General Setup || Application || Module Management. There, it is possible to install new modules by clicking on Add Modules.
Search for this module, named Multi-Dimensional Trial Balance Report and install it. The system must be rebuilt after the installation.
Correctly configuring this module requires to follow two steps:
- Generate Cubes
- Schedule background Process for caching queries
As System Administrator access the Window Cube Definition. There will be a record named FDR - Financial Dimensional Cubes. Click on it and click on the button Generate Cubes. The Module Financial Multi-Dimensional Reports must be flagged as in development.
In the pop up, select the Clients for which the Cubes are going to be generated.
If there exists already a Cube generated for a particular Client, it will not be generated again by default. In order to do so, the Delete Previous Cubes check must be checked.
Schedule background Process
Schedule background Process for caching the queries
This step is not required, but recommended, in order to greatly improve the performance of the Report.
By scheduling this background Process, the application will learn how the Cubes are used. Meaning that the application will learn which queries are fired more often, and which ones requires more time to load. With this information, the Process will pre-load the results of this queries in the cache, so they are stored before the user asks for them.
The result is that the user will experience a significant reduction of loading times for the queries that are more often used. For example, a query that might take three minutes to load the first time, it will take around a second to load the next one.
For scheduling the background Process
As Client Administrator access the Window Process Request and create a new record for the Client and the Process Mondrian Cache Preload. The recommended parameters for configuring the background Process are:
- Organization: *
- Timing: Schedule
- Frequency: Daily
- Daily Option: Every n days
- Daily Interval: 1
- Start Date: At some time when the activity is minimum, for example at night.
Through the Window Financial Management || Business Intelligence || Multi-Dimensional Trial Balance the report is launched.
The parameters to configure before launching the report are:
- Organization (Mandatory).
- General Ledger (Mandatory).
- Account Element. One or multiple Accounts can be selected. In that case, the Multi-Dimensional Trial Balance report will show information only for those Accounts.
- Name For Saved View. It is possible to save the output of the Report by setting a name in this field. By doing so, other users can access the result of the Report without setting the Parameters again. This feature is more extensively explained in the Analytics Documentation
- Year (Mandatory).
- Period From and Period To. The year can be filtered to show only information between two different Periods.
- Use Fiscal Calendar. By default the Multi-Dimensional Trial Balance uses the Natural Calendar. If this check-box is checked, the Fiscal Calendar will be used instead. It is advised not to use the Natural Calendar if it does not match the Fiscal Calendar.
- Compare Between Years. By checking this check-box another group of fields are shown: Reference Year, Reference Period From and Reference Period To. This fields are used to compare the results obtained for the selected Year against the selected Reference Year.
This section of the Parameters Window is used to configure the dimensional analysis for the report. It consists in three different columns, Dimensions, Column and Row.
In the Dimensions Column are contained all the available Dimensions for dimensional analysis.
Each dimension can be placed in either of the other two columns. By doing so, the report will split the data using that dimension, and placing it in the columns or the rows of the report.
This fields are used to filter the results of the report. All of the fields support multiple selection.
Multi-Dimensional Trial Balance Output
The output of this report is generated using the analysis suite Saiku. More information can be found in the documentation of Analytics module and in the documentation for Saiku. In this document only a couple of basic features are going to be explained.
- Clicking on the first icon from the left allows to show empty cells.
- Clicking on the second icon from the left allows to swap the axis, the dimensions on the rows will be shown in the columns and the dimensions on the columns will be shown on the rows.
Options when clicking in a dimension in rows or columns
A pop up is shown with the options:
- Keep only. Keeps the selected member of the dimension. For example, if there are two years in the header, by clicking over one of them and then selecting keep only, only that year will be shown.
- Show Children. Shows the children of the selected member. For example, if a year is shown, by clicking on it and selecting Show Children, the Quarters will be shown.
Right hand side options
Some options to show graphics to represent the information shown in the table.
As of now, it is not supported the definition of an Account with Show Value Condition as positive only or negative only.
The results shown in the report always assume that all the Accounts are defined with Show Value Condition as Algebraic.
Therefore wrong results due to this fact are to be expected.