Openbravo POS supporta interfacce web?
Openbravo POS is a desktop application because:
- Openbravo POS has to deal with POS hardware: receipt printers, customer displays and other devices. It is more easy to deal with them as a desktop application.
- The user interface is oriented to touch screens and Openbravo POS needs very sophisticated user controls that HTML cannot provide.
Che tipo di periferiche supporta Openbravo POS ?
These are the peripherals that Openbravo POS supports:
- Receipt printers and Customer displays: any that supports ESC/POS protocol or that has a JavaPOS driver available.
- Cash drawer: any that connects to the receipt printers.
- Barcode scanner: any that emulates the keyboard.
- Touch screen any that has a driver for the operating system where Openbravo POS is going to run.
- Scale: any that supports the Samsung protocol or the Dialog1 protocol.
- Magnetic card swipe: any that emulates the keyboard.
Openbravo POS è eseguibile su Windows CE?
It is not possible to run Openbravo POS on Windows CE or to port Openbravo POS to Windows CE. However, the requirements of Openbravo POS are very low and you can cut costs using low processors like VIA processors and Linux operating system.
Dove posso recuperare il codice sorgente di Openbravo POS?
Openbravo POS source code it is available from Openbravo Subversion server, there are instructions on how to setup a Subversion client to access to it. To get written access please contact email@example.com.
Posso eseguire Openbravo POS usando una risoluzione di 800x600?
The preferred resolution for Openbravo POS is 1024x768. But with some configuration changes you can make Openbravo POS work in 800x600.
In the resources panel edit the resource Ticket.Buttons and modify the value of the property cat-height to 150.
And in the configuration panel modify the value of the property Screen to fullscreen.
Restart the application and you will see the sales panel and most functions to fit properly in your 800x600 monitor. Only few panels does not fit properly in 800x600.
Any particular combination of peripherals that you would recommend?
- Touch screen: ELO 1515 LCD Desktop Touchmonitor.
- Barcode scanner: Metrologic Voyager 9520.
- Ticket printers: Epson TM T88IV with serial interface.
- Customer display: Cash Epson DM D110/D210 with serial interface.
Can Openbravo POS run with OpenJDK?
No, Openbravo POS does not run with OpenSDK that is actually the Java framework installed by default in some Linux distributions like Ubuntu. You have to use Sun's Java 2 Platform Standard Edition 6.0 or higher.
If OpenJDK is installed, Openbravo POS throws the following exception:
net.sf.jasperreports.engine.JRException: javax.imageio.IIOException: Invalid argument to native writeImage
To fix this install Sun's Java 2 Platform Standard Edition 6.0 or higher. In Ubuntu this can be done executing.
$ sudo apt-get install sun-java6-bin sun-java6-jre $ sudo update-java-alternatives -s java-6-sun
If you want to maintain OpenJDK installed in your machine it may be necessary to specify to Openbravo POS the path where the Sun's Java 2 Platform Standard Edition resides. For example if it resides in /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun you can include the following two lines in start.sh:
Dialogs sometimes does not show all images and the right window boundary is off the screen
Java does not work properly under Linux with Compiz activated. To fix this one solution is just to disable Compiz. For example in Unbuntu go to System / Preferences / Appearance, and in the tab Visual Effects select None. The other solution is to set the environment variable AWT_TOOLKIT to MToolkit before starting Openbravo POS. You can do this adding to /home/username/.bashrc the line.
Sometimes appear strange images in text boxes
Java does not work properly under Windows Vista with Aero activated. To fix this just turn off Aero effects.
How Openbravo POS decides which language to use for the user interface?
By default Openbravo POS takes the language to use from the operating system. But you can also change then language in the configuration panel of Openbravo POS. In this panel you can also change the properties related to the format of numeric values, currencies and dates.
How can I change the receipts printed to include my logo and other details
Openbravo receipts are fully configurable and is based on templates, you can change these templates in the resources panel. Log in as administrator and go to Administration / Maintenance / Resources. Here edit the record Printer.Ticket that contains the template of the receipt that is printed after a sale operation is closed. There are other templates in this panel for other moments of the operation of Openbravo POS you are also free to modify.
How can I modify the reports and create new ones
Openbravo POS 2.10 and later versions provide an structure for reports that makes it easier to modify and create new reports. There is a tutorial here Openbravo POS Reports and Charts Tutorial
How can I manage the taxes depending on the customer
Taxes architecture in Openbravo POS is very similar to Openbravo ERP and you can set a different taxes schema depending on the customer. This is explained in detail here Openbravo POS Taxes Management.
How can I give a discount in Openbravo POS?
There are many ways to do it. For example:
- On the sales panel, type in a number (into the field that takes item code) and hit the minus (-) key. Make sure that the dropdown just below the field where you keyed in the number is set to 0% tax. The number you keyed in would be the discount amount. Similarly, if you hit the + key, that number would be added to the total amount.
- Set up a new item called "DISCOUNT" in the products screen with itemcode, say 0. Set it to 0 price and 0 tax and a new category. Then on the sales panel, key in 0 for the item code and hit Enter. Click on the "pencil" icon and modify the price. So the receipt would read "DISCOUNT" and an appropriate price against it.
- Create a new scripting button that adds a new line with the discount. An example is described in the Openbravo POS Scripting Tutorial.
In addition to this, you could as well provide discount on individual items directly by selecting the item on the sales panel and then clicking on the pencil icon, modifying the price and hitting Enter. But this would not show as "DISCOUNT" on the receipt and hence your customer would not even know that you have given him a discount.
How can I work with the restaurant module
To work with the restaurant module to be able to show the tables layout and the reservations panel. Go to the configuration panel and in the option Tickets, select restaurant.
Openbravo POS cannot print reports under Linux
Openbravo POS shows a message Error printing report, See the console for details when trying to print a report because of the java platform bug http://bugs.sun.com/view_bug.do?bug_id=6633656. You can have it work by specifying the Orientation in every printer in CUPS. Depending on your system go to System -> Printing and for each printer select the Job Options tab and specify Orientation to whatever else instead of Automatic Rotation.
Openbravo POS can't find database driver in Linux
You might get this error when starting up Openbravo POS: "Danger: Cannot connect to database. Database driver not found."
This is because the path for the JDK is not specified. For example, if your JDK resides in /opt, you can include the following two lines (adjust as necessary) in start.sh:
export JAVA_HOME=/opt/jdk1.6.0_07 export PATH=/opt/jdk1.6.0_07/bin:$PATH
or (Ubuntu 8.10) [Log in as -root- to edit start.sh file]
Openbravo POS does not start, it shows the message could not find the main class
Openbravo POS 2.30 needs java 1.6 o greater version, if you have installed java 1.5 or a previous version this message appears when trying to execute Openbravo POS. To know what version is the default version of java in your system open a console and type java -version.
To fix this problem remove any previous version of java and install java 1.6 or a greater java version.
How can I reset / remove data in Openbravo POS
If you have been testing and configuring Openbravo POS and you want to remove all the receipts you created but maintaining the master data: Products, categories, ... Execute the following SQL commands:
DELETE FROM TICKETLINES; DELETE FROM TAXLINES; DELETE FROM TICKETS; DELETE FROM PAYMENTS; DELETE FROM RECEIPTS; DELETE FROM SHAREDTICKETS; DELETE FROM STOCKDIARY; DELETE FROM CLOSEDCASH; UPDATE STOCKCURRENT SET UNITS = 0;
If you want also reset the receipt number counters, execute for HSQLDB and PostgreSQL:
ALTER SEQUENCE TICKETSNUM RESTART WITH 1; ALTER SEQUENCE TICKETSNUM_REFUND RESTART WITH 1; ALTER SEQUENCE TICKETSNUM_PAYMENT RESTART WITH 1;
UPDATE TICKETSNUM SET ID = 1; UPDATE TICKETSNUM_REFUND SET ID = 1; UPDATE TICKETSNUM_PAYMENT SET ID = 1;
DROP SEQUENCE TICKETSNUM; CREATE SEQUENCE TICKETSNUM START WITH 1; DROP SEQUENCE TICKETSNUM_REFUND; CREATE SEQUENCE TICKETSNUM_REFUND START WITH 1; DROP SEQUENCE TICKETSNUM_PAYMENT; CREATE SEQUENCE TICKETSNUM_PAYMENT START WITH 1;
DELETE FROM TICKETSNUM; ALTER TABLE TICKETSNUM ALTER COLUMN ID RESTART WITH 0; INSERT INTO TICKETSNUM VALUES (DEFAULT); DELETE FROM TICKETSNUM_REFUND; ALTER TABLE TICKETSNUM_REFUND ALTER COLUMN ID RESTART WITH 0; INSERT INTO TICKETSNUM_REFUND VALUES (DEFAULT); DELETE FROM TICKETSNUM_PAYMENT; ALTER TABLE TICKETSNUM_PAYMENT ALTER COLUMN ID RESTART WITH 0; INSERT INTO TICKETSNUM_PAYMENT VALUES (DEFAULT);
If you want also delete products and categories, execute:
DELETE FROM STOCKCURRENT; DELETE FROM PRODUCTS_COM; DELETE FROM PRODUCTS_CAT; DELETE FROM PRODUCTS; DELETE FROM CATEGORIES;
If you want also delete customers, execute:
DELETE FROM CUSTOMERS;
If you forgot the administrator password and you cannot login as administrator, to reset the administrator password, execute the following SQL sentence:
UPDATE PEOPLE SET APPPASSWORD = NULL WHERE NAME = 'Admin';
To execute the previous SQL commands use the SQL client tool you prefer for the database engine you use. One tool that fits for all the database engines supported by Openbravo POS is Squirrel SQL.
Right-to-left language support (Arabic and Hebrew)
How do I write Arabic product names and other items using OpenBravo and MySQL
Arabic characters may appear garbled once saved into the database if the proper settings are not used.
on MYSQL make sure that your database/tables and varchar fields are set to eithere: UTF8 OR CP1256 codpages.
on OpenBravo make sure you set append the JDBC URL with : ?characterEncoding=utf8 i.e.: jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/MyDBPROD?characterEncoding=utf8
What are the parameters used by Openbravo POS to communicate to a serial printer
The serial parameters used by Openbravo POS to connect to serial receipt printers and customer displays are:
- Bauds: 9600.
- Data bits: 8.
- Stop bits: 1.
- Parity: None.
How to install a receipt printer that has a USB connector
Openbravo POS supports ESC/POS receipt printers that connects directly to a serial or parallel port, but there is not included in Openbravo POS support for USB ports.
However there are two methods that allow to use the ESC/POS protocol with an USB port in Openbravo POS. The two methods described here refers only to Windows operating systems:
- Install the receipt printer using the Generic / Text only driver
- Share the printer.
- Execute the following commands to map the printer to the port LPT1:
NET USE LTP1: /DELETE NET USE LTP1: \\COMPUTER NAME\PRINTER /PERSISTENT:YES
- Configure Openbravo POS to use a receipt printer in mode file and select the port LPT1:
- If you are running XP Home, you may need to run the Home Networking Wizard and select "Share folders and printers on this computer" and restart in order to enable printer sharing if you see the following error:
System Error 67 Network Name Not Found.
Install a serial emulation driver
Several USB receipt printers has a driver that creates a virtual serial port connected to the receipt printer. After installed this driver you only have to configure Openbravo POS to use the receipt printer as if was connected to a regular serial port.
For example for the USB Epson TM T88IV there is a serial emulation driver that can be downloaded from here http://www.posguys.com/download/TM-T88IV/TMCOMUSB130a.exe .
How to install a receipt printer and a cash drawer that have a javapos driver
This small guide has been copied from a forum message for an USB Star receipt printer.
- Unpack the jpos.jar file from the Openbravo POS library directory, and add into jpos/res/jpos.properties the relevant lines to use an XML file for configuration (mine is named jpos.xml)
- Pack this back up into the jpos.jar file
- Run the Star config utility, and add JavaPOS entries for the printer and cash drawer if you're using that as well. Take a note of the names they're given (my printer is TSP743II_USB)
- Save the config from here as "jpos.xml" - place it in the same directory as the final built Openbravo POS .jar file.
- Add the Star JavaPos drivers to the classpath of the project. The classpath is defined in the file start.bat for Windows or start.sh for Linux. And this example shows the lines to add for the printer Star TSP100 in Windows.
set STARHOME=libstar set CP=%CP%;%STARHOME%/jcl.jar set CP=%CP%;%STARHOME%/jpos191-controls.jar set CP=%CP%;%STARHOME%/stario.jar set CP=%CP%;%STARHOME%/starjavapos.jar set CP=%CP%;%STARHOME%/xercesimpl.jar set CP=%CP%;%STARHOME%/xml-apis.jar
- Add the location of "jpos.xml" and other options to java.
-Djpos.config.populatorFile="%USERPROFILE%/jpos.xml" -Xms32m -Xmx512m
- Rebuild Openbravo POS
- The name from the Star config utility needs to be put into the config section of Openbravo POS. Assuming you're using a revision of POS since 310, you will be able to use the printer without a cash drawer.