A price list is a listing of prices for different products or services.
It is possible to create as many price list and price list versions as required depending on the organization needs.
The process of creating a price list is slightly different to the process of creating a price list version.
Price List creation:
- Price List Name and Type (sales or purchase) is detailed in the Price List window header. It is also mandatory to defined whether the price include taxes or not.
- Exists the possibility of Price list based on cost, for this the price list should be sales price list.
- The Default Price List Schema with no configuration at all, as well as the valid from date information must be detailed in the Price List Version tab
- The Unit / List price of each product which must be included in the price list is detailed in the Product Price sub-tab.
- The price list is ready and can be linked to the business partners as required and therefore used.
Price List version creation:
- Price List Name and Type (sales or purchase) is detailed in the Price List window header.
- A Price List Schema which contains the new commercial rules to apply, the valid from date and the Base Price List for which the price list version is created must be detailed in the Price List Version tab.
- The process Create Price list populates the "Product Price" tab by including:
- every product contained in the original price list
- each product will have a new unit and/or list price, depending on what was configured in the price list schema used.
- The price list version is ready and can be linked to the business partners as required and therefore used.
- Documents will automatically default the most recent version of a price list.
- There is no end date on price list versions, but old versions can be deactivated.a
Price List window allows to create purchase and sales price lists to be assigned to the business partners for its use in purchase and sales transactions such as orders and invoices.
As shown in the image above, a price list or a price list version can be created by just entering below relevant informacion:
- By selecting the field "Sales Price List" it will be for sales transactions, otherwise it will be a purchase price list.
- Default field allows to define a given price list as the default one to be used in case a business partner does not have a specific price list assigned.
- Price list based on cost, this field is shown if the price list is a Sales Price List. This option allows to create a price list base on the cost price plus a margin.
- Price includes taxes. This flag is very important and depending on this the behaviour of sales and procurement flows will be affected.
- If it is marked then the price defined is the gross unit price
- If it is not marked then the price defined is the net unit price
How this affects the flows?
- When the price list includes taxes the gross unit price and line gross amount are filled and the net unit price is calculated based on the gross unit price and the corresponding tax rate. What cannot be changed is the gross and due to this it might be some rounding issues that the system automatically handles adding or subtracting these differences in the tax amount
As an example : If price inclusive of tax is originally 135.50 and rate is 4.5 % then the rounded price before tax would be 129.67
The order line would stay:
Quantity: 1 Net Unit Price: 129.67 Line Net Amount: 129.67 Gross Unit Price: 135.50 Line Gross Amount: 135.50
But the total gross amount (calculated by the system) would be 135.51 (tax base amount:129.67 + tax amount:5.84) and what it has to be clear is that the final result must be 135.50 (The customer bought 1 unit which price is 135.50). This difference is going to be solved adjusting taxes:
The system will adjust the difference summing or subtracting this difference with the tax that has the highest amount. So in this example instead of having a tax line where the amount is 5.84€, the amount will be 5.83€ (5.84-0.01)
So finally the total gross amount for the sales order would be 135.50 (129.67+5.83) which is the desire amount
Due to this (Net amount vs Gross amount) when using prices that include taxes we recommend to work with greater precision (price precision) to avoid rounding differences
- When the price list does not include taxes the gross unit price and line gross amount fields are not displayed and both fields are not calculated at all in the line of the document. The final gross amount of the document will be the result of the sum of the lines net amounts plus the tax amounts
- The price list is defined at document level (header) so there cannot be lines where the price includes taxes and others where not. This is clear for orders but for invoices where orders can be grouped in one just invoice the rule is also applied. One invoice cannot have orders where the price list includes taxes and orders where the price list does not include taxes
Price List Version
There could be as many versions of an existing price list as required, versions which can be valid for a given time period and which can be defined according to certain commercial rules.
As shown in the image above, there are two types of "Price List Versions":
- generic and original ones linked to the "Default Price List Schema"
- further price list versions (not based on the cost) which requires both:
- a Price List Schema
- and a Base Price List version
- price list versions based on cost requires a Price List Schema with Cost configuration in Base list price and Base unit price.
The process button named "Create Price List" must be used only in the case of creating futher price list version as it requires a Base Price List if the price list is not based on cost. If the price list is based on cost is mandatory to select the price list schema and optionally the base version.
- if Base version is blank, the application calculates the unit price and list price for all the products (excluding discounts products) plus the margin defined.
- if Base version value selected, the application calculates the unit price and list price for all the products defined in base price list as cost plus margin.
Product Price tab allows to either add or edit products and their prices for a selected price list.
In other words:
- Add products in the case of creating a price list
- Edit products in the case of modifying a price list version:
- as the required products at their new prices are automatically populated by Openbravo in this tab while running the process "Create Price List".
Overall this tab includes two main fields:
- 'the List Price' field, as the price used as a reference in a given price list or price list version. This price can be the result of a discount or any other commercial rule applied by a Price List Schema.
- and the Unit Price field, as the final price used in documents such as orders and invoices. This price can be the result of a discount or any other commercial rule applied by a Price List Schema.
Full list of Price List window fields and their descriptions is available in the Price List Screen Reference.