Employee Appraisal - Functional Specifications
The purpose of this document is to describe the functional specifications for an extension module, to be develop in top of Openbravo ERP 2.50, to support employee appraisal reviews.
The module will provide the following functionality:
- Ability for a manager to record employee review forms using a standard questionnaire.
- Ability to authenticate forms entered by employees and managers.
- Ability for an HR manager to view and export all appraisal forms.
Although this module is intended to be realistic and in fact will be used to support an actual performance review cycle, it is not generic and it is primarily intended as an example of how to develop functionality as extensions.
- The review questionnaire is not user-defined by fixed.
- The process is fixed and not automated.
The functionality of this module has been sized so that its development can be achieved in less than 2 days of effort.
User roles & profiles
This specification applies to three roles:
- HR Manager: the HR professional supervising the review process.
- Employee: the individual being reviewed.
- Manager: the manager providing feedback to the employee.
Business process definition
The supported appraisal procrss is described in the picture below.
In preparation for the review, the HR Manager assigns a secret password to each employee which will be used to authentice their signature.
Managers can then fill in the appraisal form and share it with the corresponding employee.
Each manager and employee then have a performance review where they discuss the feedback. During this meeting the employee can make comments that ther manager can register in the form, together with the final rating.
At the end of the meeting, employee and managers can signify their signature by entering their respective passwords. At this point, the form can be marked as complete and it is no longer updatable.
The HR Manager can review all complete review and export them to a file for archival purposes.
Francis is the HR Manager of the California organization of a company called BigBazaar and he is responsible for overseeing the annual performance evaluation of the whole organization, which counts 250 employees and several levels of management.
Francis begins by creating a spreadsheet with all of the employees and by assigning to each of them a secret password, which is an alphanumeric string of up to 20 characters. An example of password is: 7jdMRZJ6.
Francis then sends an email to each employee to explain and kick off the process.
Andrea is a manager at BigBazaar and she is responsible for completing the appraisal of Carlo, one of the employees.
Andrea connects to the system and navigates to the Appraisal module where she creates a new record. The record defaults the following fields:
- Organization: California
- Manager: Andrea (not updateable)
- Status: Draft
She then enters the following data for the appraisal:
- Employee name: she picks Carlo in a drop down list that contains all employees
- Overall achievements: she enters free form text up to 2000 characters long
- Problem solving rating: she picks a value between 1 and 5 in a drop down list
- Problem solving comments: she enters free form comments up to 2000 characters long
- Management rating: she picks a value between 1 and 5 in a drop down list
- Management comments: she enters free form comments up to 2000 characters long
- Client relations rating: she picks a value between 1 and 5 in a drop down list
- Client relations comments: she enters free form comments up to 2000 characters long
- Team relationships rating: she picks a value between 1 and 5 in a drop down list
- Team relationships comments: she enters free form comments up to 2000 characters long
- Product and technology know how rating: she picks a value between 1 and 5 in a drop down list
- Product and technology know how comments: she enters free form comments up to 2000 characters long
- Firm contribution rating: she picks a value between 1 and 5 in a drop down list
- Firm contribution comments: she enters free form comments up to 2000 characters long
- Detected key developments needs: free form comments up to 2000 characters long
After reviewing the record, Andrea saves it and changes its status from Draft to Shared and notifies Carlo of the time of the review meeting.
Carlo can login in the application and review the evaluation in status Shared ahead of the meeting but cannot change it.
During the meeting, Andrea and Carlo discuss the review and at the end Andrea summarizes Carlo's comment in the field Employee Comments (with up to 2000 characters of text).
Finally, Andrea enters the overall quantitative evaluation choosing from a drop down list which contains the following values:
- Below expectations
- At expectations
- Exceeds expectations
At the end of the meeting, both Andrea and Carlo update the record with their passwords to certify its validity and Andrea changes the status to Complete.
Meanwhile, Francis can monitor the progress of the process seeing how many reviews are created, shared and completed.
When all reviews are completed, Francis exports them to a spreasheet, verifies that all the passwords match the ones she sent and archives the file for record keeping purposes.
Functional requirements based on business processes
Appraisal Data Elements and Validations
|1.1||The appraisal is backed to a table that contains the following columns:
|1.2||The ratings columns should be validate to accept a value from 1 to 5||Must have|
|1.3||Appraisal in status Shared should have all the ratings and manager comments filled||Nice to have|
|1.4||Appraisal in status Complete should have the password populated||Nice to have|
|2.1||The Appraisal application should be made with a standard form.||Must have|
|2.2||In Edit Mode, the Appraisal form should present the data in the following groups
|2.3||Appraisals in status complete should be read only.||Must have|
|2.4||The Appraisals application in grid mode should allow to export to csv files||Must have
|2.5||The Appraisals application should allow to search by Employee, Manager and Status||Must have|
Security and Roles
|3.1||Three roles have to be defined: