Projects:Booking Control/User Guide
“Booking Control” is a new OB extension module which allows an audit trail by:
- linking "external documents" (on paper)
- to "internal serial numbers", or booking control numbers provided by the system.
This feature is required in Germany, but it can also be generically used in other countries.
The booking control functionality provides the basis for proof of document booking, as there is going to be a reference number (booking control number) stamped manually in the invoice or document (on paper) by the end-user and at the same time automatically saved in the system/OB database linked to the invoice or document booked in the system.
This stamp contains fields for the account, the cost center, etc, these fields are filled in manually by the end-user before booking an invoice or document in the system. The person responsible for data entry will use this information when booking.
One stamp field is the booking control number, which is filled after posting the invoice in the system, therefore the booking control number is shown on the screen as a result of a successful posting transaction so the end user can written it down in the stamp.
The booking control number is also used to archive the invoice or document (on paper) and to find the related invoice or document in the system/database.
Follow below steps to get Booking Control module installed in your system:
- Login as Openbravo/Openbravo
- Change the role to “System Admin” by clicking the button “User Info”.
- Go to General Setup -> Application -> Module Management. Click the tab Add Modules -> Browse File System.
- Install Module pop-up window will be opened. Browse the obx file and click continue.
- Click Install Now. This will do all the process and finally it will add the booking control feature in our application.
- To Verify this go to “Installed Modules” tab in Module Management and check whether the newly added module appears there.
Initial Client Setup
Follow below steps to get Booking Control dataset or reference data setup in a new Client:
- Login as Openbravo/openbravo
- Click on icon "user info" and select the role "System Administrator"
- Go General Setup -> Client-> Initial client setup
- Fill the client field : BookingClient, by example
- Fill the Client Username: BookingClientAdmin, by example
- Fill the currency: EUR
- In Reference data the Booking Control referencda must be available. Check that one.
In the case of an existing Client and Organization, Booking Control reference data must be applied at Organization level (Accounting unit) at the application path:
"General Setup // Enterprise // Enterprise Module Management"
To make the booking control feature to work, it is required to:
- add the "Accounting Post_Process" (Booking Control Process) at the application path:
"Financial Management || Accounting || Setup || Accounting Schema || Process", for the corresponding Accounting Schema.
Booking Document & Booking Document Sequence setup
In order to get this booking control feature working, it is also required to verify that once Booking Control dataset has been applied for an accounting unit or Organization:
- there is a new document type named Booking Control Document at the application path:
"Financial Management || Accounting || Setup || Document Type ||Document Definition".
- and there is a new document sequence named Booking Control Sequence at the application path:
"Financial Management || Accounting || Setup || Document Sequence".
both items need to be linked.
If the user wants to change the document sequence, he can manually edit the "Booking Control Sequence" associated to the Booking control document type in the application path "Financial Management || Accounting || Setup || Document Sequence ||Sequence".
If the user wants a specific Organization to follow a different Booking Sequence Number that the one assigned to the "Booking Control document", a new "Booking Sequence Number" must be selected in the application path:
"General Setup // Enterprise // Organization - Org. Schema tab", for a given accounting schema.
It is also possible to reset the booking control sequence number per Fiscal Year, as shown in the screen below:
Above setup means that Booking Control sequence:
- will increment by "1"
- will have a prefix = HIS-YYYY-
- will have a sufix = -BCS
- will reset per each new year
- and it will get as "First Assigned number for the year" = 100000000
In the case an end-user wants the booking control number to take as "First Assigned number for the Year" a diferent one that the one setup by default in the window "Financial Management || Accounting || Setup || Document Sequence “ - Sequence tab - "First assigned number for the Year" field for a given year, he/she will have to manually created:
- the "Year", let's say 2011 - and the "Next assigned number", let's say 110000000 manually
in the new sub-tab "Year Sequences" prior to any booking, as shonw in the screen below:
Accounting Schema tables to be activated for the Transactions to get posted
If the user wants the booking control feature enabled for other than invoice posting the corresponding tables should be activated in order to allow the corresponding posting, for doing that below steps must be followed:
- Go to "Financial Management || Accounting || Setup || Accounting Schema"
- Navigate to the corresponding "Accounting Schema" and then go to “Account Schema Tables” tab
- Check the “Active” check box for the tables which must be booked as required, by example:
- Goods receipt – MaterialMgmtShipmentInOut
- Goods shipment – MaterialMgmtShipmentInOut
- Bank Statement – FinancialMgmtBankStatement
- Cash Journal – FinancialMgmtCashJournal
- Settlement – FinancialMgmtSettlement
- G/L Journal - FinancialMgmtGLJournal
- Payment Status Management – FinancialMgmtDPManagement
- BOM Production – MaterialMgmtProductionTransaction
- Amortization – FinancialMgmtAmortization
- Physical Inventory – MaterialMgmtInventoryCount
- Goods Movements – MaterialMgmtInternalMovement
User interface Changes
A new window “Booking Control” has been added in the application path:
"Financial Management || Accounting || Transactions || Booking Control", as shown in the screen below.
Whenever we post a transaction, a new row will be added automatically to that window, with the corresponding values according to the transaction details in the following fields.
- Accounting Schema:it will indicate the accounting schema for which the document was booked at.
- Active: it will indicate if the document is active
- Period: it will indicate the time period when the transaction has been posted in the system.
- Description: it will indicate a description of the posted transaction. This text field can be edit manually by the user
- Document Type: Document Type determines the document sequence and processing rules. In this case the Document Type is Booking Control Document Type.
- Document no: it will indicate the booking control document number. The document number is automatically generated by the system and determined by the document type. Document number generation depends upon the sequence used in Financial Management || Accounting || Setup || Document Sequence || Sequence for the Booking Control document.
- Amount: it will indicate the transaction amount.
- Browse Document process button: it will browse to the original invoice or transaction
A new tab named “Booking Control” has also been added in the following windows.
- Purchase Invoice
- Sales Invoice
- Goods receipt
- Goods shipment
- Bank Statement
- Cash Journal
- G/L Journal
- Payment Status Management
- BOM Production
- Physical Inventory
- Goods Movements
And in the case of Advanced Payables & Receivables management windows:
- Payment In
- Payment Out
- Financial Account / Account - Reconciliations
- Financial Account / Account - Booking Control for transactions
- Financial Account / Account - Imported Bank Statements
It is important to remark that once Booking Control dataset has been applied, there will be two (2) "Accounting History" tab as described below:
- the first one at the application path: "Financial Management // Receivables & Payables // Transactions// Financial Account // Account"
- this tab will provide summary Accounting History information, which means do not related to a specific financial account transaction
- the second one at the application path:"Financial Management || Receivables & Payables || Transactions || Financial Account || Account >> Booking Control for Transactions"
- this tab will provide Accoounting History information for a specific finacial account transaction
We encourage the fist one to be hidden in order to avoid confusions by following below steps:
- As System Administrator go to "Application Dictionary // Windows, Tabs and Fields //Window
- Find "Financial Account" window
- Go to "Tab" tab
- Find the tab "Accounting History" with the "Tab Level" = 1
- Remove the flag "Active" for that one.
All the Booking control tabs listed above have the same fields as described for the Booking Control new window.
For example a purchase invoice (Transaction document: AP Invoice) is being posted on 11th August 2009 with a grant total amount of 522,00, after booking, the booking control tab in the Purchase Invoice window will have the following values.
The same values will be shown in the "Financial Management || Accounting || Transactions || Booking Control" window.
Finally, every time we start booking for a year, the tab Year Sequence" at the applicatino path: " will be automaticall populated with the corresponding "Next Assigned Value" informacion, as shown below for year 2009, by example:
(1) Peter is an accountant who needs to book a purchase invoice and at the same time keep the invoice document (in paper). For getting that done he needs to:
- Log into Openbravo ERP.
- From the Application menu, select Procurement Management-> Transactions-> Purchase invoice.
- Click New.
- From the Transaction Document list, select the corresponding document type, AP invoice.
- By clicking the Business Partner icon, select the business partner
- Click the Lines tab
- Click New.
- By clicking the Product icon, select the product.
- In the Invoiced Quantity field, type the quantity of the product to be invoiced.
- Go back to header tab and Click "Complete".
- Click the button "Post".
(2) After posting Peter can verify the corresponding journal entry to check that the values in the Debit and in the Credit are correct.
(3) He can also click the Journal entry link, by doing that he will be redirected to the original document that is the purchase invoice
(4) Peter can inquiry the Booking control tab in the Purchase invoice || Header, for him to write-down the booking control number given in the paper:
(5) Peter can also search a document booked in the system by navigating to the application path:
"Financial Management || Accounting || Transactions ||Booking Control", once there he has below shown search options.
He could enter the booking control number he can see in the paper to find the document in the system or he could enter the accounting period when a document was booked in the system:
(6) Once the document is found. he can only modify the field "Description" if needed as rest of "booking" field are not editable.
(7) Finally, if Peter clicks the Browse document process, he will get the original document which was booked.