Projects:Financial Reports Review/Functional Specifications
Accounting Report Review
Every report in the financial management is going to be reviewed, checked and fixed. This project completes the work done in the Accounting Report Review project.
The main goals of this project are:
- Add the export to PDF and XLS options on every financial report.
- Make user friendly XLS outputs
- Add dimensional filters on reports.
- Multiple Business Partner
- Multiple Product
- Multiple Project
- Add an option to select the dimension the user want to group by the output. Business Partner, Product, Project or none.
- Ensure that common filters are present and correctly applied: Organization, Accounting Schema, date range.
- Homogenize outputs of the reports.
- The output should not take a lot of space, both in HTML, PDF and in Excel. It should be ink efficient:
- Different colors background filling should be used only when it really provides significant benefit.
- It should be space efficient. Empty rows, rows that contain only one value in it should be considered as candidates to be eliminated.
- Do not use giant sized fonts.
- The nesting with the boxes, besides being very inefficient from a space usage perspective, make the report very difficult to read.
- Do not repeat the header on every entry (In Excel, just having it once at the top would be enough. In PDF just having it once every page would be enough.
- In Excel, having all of these headers make the report less useful: it is not as easy to sum up data and apply functions in general.
- Not all the parameters are listed in the output. If I generate the report, print it and store it for archival, when I get back to it, it would be nice to know which parameters I used to print this report and the report generation date. This is a generic comment and it applies to all reports. A report should always have an option to print cover page with the report parameters.
- Pay more attention to "homogeneous" requirement. We delivered 2 reports and use in them different terms for the same things - Account No.: and Account Code, Account Description and Account Name, Debit Period and Debit. The same happens even in the same report but different outputs of it - HTML and PDF/Excel.
- Check with Oscar, Vanesa / Berdin if in the .xls export they need raw data and don´t want to have grouping if we provide formulas inside them (before that we did not mention that option).
- Make filenames for the exports more meaningful by removing technical info (like .jrxml, Excel) and adding, for example, generation dates, other default values for the report.
- Remove background filling in the xls export in the part of the reports with data to benefit from the xls grid.
- HTML output should be clickable to allow drill-down.
- Improve HTML view by adding clear visualization if several output pages are available (according to my experience having at the moment only forward backward arrows on top does not help a lot).
- Show a user friendly message when no data is found.
- The totals are missing
- Create / Update reports creation guidelines with all the tunings we do.
Reports involved in this review:
- Under Financial Management > Receivables & Payables > Analysis Tools
- Bank Report
- Cash Report
- Cashflow Forecast
- Payment Report
- Payment Aging Balance
- Invoice Taxes Report
- Payment Tracker
- Under Financial Management > Accounting > Analysis Tools
- Balance sheet and P&L structure
- Trial Balance Report
- General Ledger Report
- General Ledger Journal
- Not Posted Transaction Report
- Withholding Report
- Cash Flow Statement
It is required to add a multiple project selector to core o add the ability to filter by multiple projects.
Any issue logged in the issue tracker for these reports should be considered during the development of the project.
User roles & profiles
Financial controllers, accountants and managers of companies.
Business process definition
Functional requirements based on business processes
Functional Requirements are described on each report page.
Application Dictionary elements as well as all type of files involved in Model - View - Controller (MVC) stucture (*.html, *.xml, *.java and *.xsql files) will have to be modified. Besides, Jasper reports (*.jrxml files) will also be modified.