Projects:POS/2.30 Release Notes
English | Italiano | Português | Русский | Translate this article...
What is Openbravo POS 2.30
Openbravo POS 2.30 is a major release of Openbravo POS featuring new functionalities, architectural improvements and many defects fixed. Openbravo POS 2.30 is the latest release of the leading open source POS solution.
How to get Openbravo POS
Openbravo POS 2.30 is available for download in Sourceforge.net: OpenbravoPOS: Files. And the packages provided are:
- Openbravo POS application
- openbravopos-2.30-windows-installer.exe. The installer for all Windows platforms. Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7.
- openbravopos-2.30-linux-installer.bin. The installer for all Linux platforms like Ubuntu, OpenSuse, Fedora, Debian, ... with an i386 processor.
- openbravopos-2.30-linux-x64-installer.bin. The installer for all Linux platforms with an x64 processor architecture.
- openbravopos-2.30-linux-ia64-installer.bin. The installer for all Linux platforms with an IA64 processor architecture.
- openbravopos-2.30-solaris-intel-installer.bin. The installer for Solaris with an intel processor.
- openbravopos-2.30-osx-installer.app.tar.gz. The installer for MacOS with an intel processor.
- openbravopos_2.30_bin.zip. The binary files intended for any platform.
- Openbravo POS PDA module
- openbravopos_2.30_pda.zip. The binary files of the PDA module intended for easier deployment. This package includes the HTTP server and servlet container Jetty.
- openbravopos_2.30_pda.war. The binary files of the PDA module intended for the deployment in the HTTP server and servlet container of your choice. This package allows a more flexible deployment of the PDA module.
- Openbravo POS and ERP integration packages
- openbravopos_2.30_web.obx. This is the Openbravo POS Synchronization Web Services module intended to be installed in Openbravo ERP 2.50 or later. You can also install the latest version of this module from the modules repository.
- openbravopos_2.30_int.zip. This are the Pentaho Data Integration jobs and transformations intended to execute the integration between Openbravo POS and Openbravo ERP. To execute these jobs and transformations you need Openbravo ERP 2.50 or later with the module Openbravo POS Synchronization Web Services installed.
- Openbravo POS sources
- openbravopos_2.30_src.zip. The source files of Openbravo POS, including everything: the PDA module, jobs and transformations and the synchronization web services module.
These are the most important features and bugs fixed in this release:
- PDA Restaurant Module: This feature will allow users to take orders, browse products and manage tables using a mobile device. In this version Opera Mobile and iPod touch / iPhone are supported, but with simple modifications any mobile device with web browsing capabilities and wifi connectivity will work. This feature is oriented for restaurants and other hospitality business. More information in the PDA module installation guide.
- Product Attributes: This feature has been created using the same concepts for product attributes in Openbravo ERP. With this new feature products can have attributes like size, color, serial number, etc. All these attributes are registered in all the operations like sales and inventory movements. New master data panels, reports and dialogs have been added to Openbravo POS to manage properly product attributes. This feature will be very useful for lots of sectors. More information in the Product attributes guide.
- ERP - POS Improvement of Synchronization: The whole architecture for synchronization between Openbravo ERP and Openbravo POS has changed and more data is synchronized. In the ERP side a new module has been added to provide REST web services for the integration. The tool selected to run synchronization jobs is Pentaho data integration. Pentaho data integration is an open source, powerful, metadata-driven ETL, with a graphical interface to design synchronization jobs. With this new architecture the synchronization logic is decoupled from the data, it will be easier to schedule synchronization jobs, design and create new synchronization jobs between Openbravo ERP and Openbravo POS and other applications.
- Payment Gateways: The payment gateways functionality has been improved and extended. Now we support natively the following payment gateways: PayPoint / SecPay, Authorize.net, Planetauthorize, First Data / LinkPoint / YourPay and PaymentsGateway.net, and more payment gateways can be added easily. With these improvements Openbravo POS is able to manage card present transactions and is prepared to support EMV standards, PCI standards, and Chip/PIN requirements.
- Bitrock Installers: Install Openbravo POS is now easier than ever. Now we provide installers for the following platforms: Windows, Linux x86, Linux x64, Linux ia64, OSX and Solaris Intel. The classical binary and sources packages are still distributed. More information in the OpenbravoPOS Installation.
- Support for the Apache Derby database engine: Apache Derby is an open source relational database implemented entirely in Java. Apache Derby improves the performance and reliability of Openbravo POS when running in embedded mode. And also Apache Derby in embedded mode replaces HSQLDB as the default database engine in the binary distribution of Openbravo POS 2.30. HSQLDB continues to be supported in Openbravo POS but it is no longer the default database engine. More information in the OpenbravoPOS Installation.
- Upgrade license to GPL version 3: With GNU GPL version 3 we are up to date with the latest version of the license and we close several gaps of the previous license like granting patent licenses to every user, extending compatibility with other free software licenses and dealing with the new threats to free software that have emerged since version 2 of the GNU GPL.
- Upgrade third party libraries up to the latest stable release: The following libraries has been updated: SwingX 0.9.5, Substance 5.1.
- Improve receipt printer support: In this version Openbravo POS supports a larger set of receipt printers. It adds support for receipt printers with system drivers. Almost every receipt printer with system drivers is supported in Openbravo POS. It includes native support for Star Micronics receipt printers, and for text only receipt printers. It also has been improved the support for javapos fiscal printers. More information in the OpenbravoPOS Hardware Installation.
- Usability Improvements
- Panel to edit auxiliary products relation: Openbravo POS supports auxiliary products since older versions but this relation had to be configured manually editing the database. Now there is an Openbravo POS panel that helps editing auxiliary products relations.
- Add a dialog to find receipts in the edit sales panel. A new dialog has been added to find receipts without knowing the receipt number. Users will be able to search receipts by date, by type (sale or refund), by user, and by total.
- Add a keypad in the cash movements panel: With this addition the cash movement panel can be operated using only the touch screen. This is a good improvement for environments that need to manage the cash amounts directly from the Openbravo POS touch screen terminal.
- Add the possibility to print a partial report in the Close cash panel: Now it is possible to print the close cash report with the partial results without restarting the counters and totals. However you will be able to differentiate if the report is for the partial results or for the final results.
The following language packages are available for Openbravo POS 2.30 but language packages of older versions will work too. In this case only some sentences may have not been translated.
To install the language package you only have to copy the files included in the same folder Openbravo POS is installed and maintaining the same folder structure.
|English||en (default)||Included in the binaries|
|Spanish Mexico||es_mx||Translation package|
Upgrading from Openbravo POS 2.20
Openbravo POS 2.30 needs Sun Microsystems Java version 1.6 or greater to run. If you have an older version of Java to run Openbravo POS 2.20, first you must upgrade to Sun Microsystems Java version 1.6 before installing Openbravo POS 2.30
To save all the data and configuration we recommend first to close all the applications connected to the database, make a backup of your database, upgrade the database and discard this backup only when everything has been tested to work with the new version.
The first time Openbravo POS 2.30 starts, if the database is from a previous version it asks the user if it should be upgraded. If the user selects yes, the SQL script that upgrades the database structure is executed and Openbravo POS starts normally.
Menu options and permissions
There are several menu options and permissions that have to be updated manually in an upgraded installation of Openbravo POS 2.30 from 2.20.
- New menu options are not visible because the new menu definition resource has to include the new menu entries. To add the new menu entries to your menu, open the resource Menu.Root and replace the menu definition by the new menu definition of the new version or include the following lines in your current menu definition.
submenu.addPanel("/com/openbravo/images/bookmark.png", "Menu.Auxiliar", "com.openbravo.pos.inventory.AuxiliarPanel"); submenu.addPanel("/com/openbravo/images/bookmark.png", "Menu.Attributes", "com.openbravo.pos.inventory.AttributesPanel"); submenu.addPanel("/com/openbravo/images/bookmark.png", "Menu.AttributeValues", "com.openbravo.pos.inventory.AttributeValuesPanel"); submenu.addPanel("/com/openbravo/images/bookmark.png", "Menu.AttributeSets", "com.openbravo.pos.inventory.AttributeSetsPanel"); submenu.addPanel("/com/openbravo/images/bookmark.png", "Menu.AttributeUse", "com.openbravo.pos.inventory.AttributeUsePanel"); submenu.addPanel("/com/openbravo/images/appointment.png", "Menu.InventoryListDetail", "/com/openbravo/reports/inventorylistdetail.bs"); submenu.addPanel("/com/openbravo/images/appointment.png", "Menu.InventoryDiffDetail", "/com/openbravo/reports/inventorydiffdetail.bs");
- New menu options are not accessible because the permissions list are not updated and have to be done manually. For example, to add to the Administrator role all the menu options of 2.30 go to the roles panel and include the following lines to the permissions list:
<class name="com.openbravo.pos.inventory.AttributesPanel"/> <class name="com.openbravo.pos.inventory.AttributeValuesPanel"/> <class name="com.openbravo.pos.inventory.AttributeSetsPanel"/> <class name="com.openbravo.pos.inventory.AttributeUsePanel"/> <class name="com.openbravo.pos.inventory.AuxiliarPanel"/> <class name="/com/openbravo/reports/inventorylistdetail.bs"/> <class name="/com/openbravo/reports/inventorydiffdetail.bs"/>
Integration between Openbravo ERP and Openbravo POS
With the new integration architecture between Openbravo ERP and Openbravo POS the previous integration does not longer work and you need to build again the integration between Openbravo ERP and Openbravo POS. The new integration architecture needs Openbravo ERP 2.50 or later and Openbravo POS 2.30 beta or later.
To install the components of the new integration architecture you need to hide the previous integration buttons removing the following lines from the resource Menu.Root:
submenu.addTitle("Menu.Maintenance.ERP"); submenu.addExecution("/com/openbravo/images/openbravo.png", "Menu.ERPProducts", "com.openbravo.possync.ProductsSyncCreate"); submenu.addExecution("/com/openbravo/images/openbravo.png", "Menu.ERPOrders", "com.openbravo.possync.OrdersSyncCreate");
In Openbravo ERP you need to install the Openbravo POS Synchronization Web Services module that can be downloaded from the Sourceforge.net: OpenbravoPOS: Files or from the module repository of Openbravo ERP.
Pentaho data integration is the tool used to run the integration jobs and transformations, and the jobs and transformations that contains the logic of the integration can be downloaded from Sourceforge.net: OpenbravoPOS: Files. These jobs and transformations need the parameters to connect to the Openbravo POS Synchronization web services installed in Openbravo ERP and the parameters to connect to the Openbravo POS database.
- All the pending receipts are deleted because the pending receipt records stored in the database are not compatible with the latest version. We recommend, previous to upgrade the database, to close all the pending receipts with the old version of Openbravo POS you are using.
Openbravo wants to thank:
Star Micronics EMEA and Seleniko 03, S.L.. For providing receipt printers and customers displays to test with Openbravo POS.
Epson Italia, Gallorini, Manu and Cosmic Blue Team S.p.A. For helping improving the javapos support for fiscal printers.
We want to hear from you! You can reach Openbravo community at:
- Openbravo POS forums: http://forge.openbravo.com/projects/openbravopos/forum
- IRC: #openbravo (English) and #openbravo-es (Spanish) on irc.freenode.net
To keep up to date with Openbravo community news, be sure to visit Planet Openbravo for blog posts from the Openbravo community.
Do you want to contribute? To get involved with Openbravo POS see our Contributor's guide.