Projects:Report UI Pattern/Functional Specifications
Report UI Pattern - Functional Specifications
There are two ways of defining a report; the first one is using the existing UI pattern for Jasper Reports, this pattern provides a way to define the parameters the Jasper template will receive and generates automatically a user interface for requesting them; the other way is using a generic manual process, in this case it's necessary to manually develop the interface as well as the process (it can be XmlEngine or Jasper).
This project has two purposes:
- Do some small enhancements in the report definition (and by extension in the reports definition) to solve some issues they currently have.
- Move the current manual reports (that are possible to be moved) to the standard report UI pattern.
This project will affect the current report UI pattern as well as the existent manual reports that will be moved to follow the pattern.
Some manual reports (typically multidimensional analysis reports) use multiple selectors which currently are not defined as search reference, this definition is part of the Selector UI pattern in Application Dictionary project. Thus until that project is completed this kind of reports will not be possible to be redesigned to follow the pattern.
When reports are defined in application dictionary it is only possible to define which are the arguments a Jasper Report will receive to show the information, but it is not possible to define the whole report within application dictionary. Thus the Jasper report template (jrxml file) must be manually maintained.
User roles & profiles
- this user with some technical skills is the one that is able to define new reports.
Business process definition
The current report UI pattern has 2 detected issues to be fixed:
- 3431: reports are defined as processes (a report is a kind of process) but it is not easy to distinguish the type a process has, furthermore, it is possible to set the process type to in a non-consistent way.
- 3438: When the parameters format for reports must be checked, those checks are performed in the interface but it is possible to bypass it clicking the "show" button (the same is applicable for processes).
Functional requirements based on business processes
1st. iteration: enhance Report UI Pattern
|1.1||Change the way process and report types are defined.||Must have||To be started||3d|
|1.2||Check the format is correct for parameters before submitting the page||Must have||To be started||2d|
2nd. iteration: move manual reports to standard
|2.1||Redefine current reports in application dictionary with the Report pattern||Should have||To be started||1m|