This page lists the tasks from the global scrum backlog and some additional tasks which are all related to the new user interface project.
For each task the following is done:
- a description which highlights the important aspects and links to related material
- a resource requirement estimate
- a throughput time estimate
Each task is (if necessary) divided in subtasks which are assigned to specific sprints.
The sprint timing is as follows:
- Sprint 24: 10th June - 10th July
- Sprint 25: - 11th August
- Sprint 26: - 12th September
- Sprint 27: - 13th October
- Sprint 28: - 14th November
- Sprint 29: - 15th December
The main layout (row 26 in the global scrum backlog) delivery consists of the following:
- navigation bar with quick launch, quick create, application menu, alerts and role/client change dialog
- Multi-Document interface which is capable of showing the classic OB windows
At the start of Sprint 24 the following tasks remain for the main layout:
- Back button handling: specific code is being implemented which makes the back button work within the Multi-Document interface. Which means that if the back button is pressed that the previous page within a tab is shown or a previous selected tab is activated.
- Styling: a new styling has been designed for the new layout, it is available as html and css. This needs to be translated into Smartclient styling concepts
- QA: the new layout has to be tested
- Module packaging and delivery
- Installation on a test server for review by others
- Communication on the availability of the new layout (blog post)
The main layout work will continue in sprint 24. The work division:
- David: back button, styling
- Stefan: QA
- Martin: Module packaging, installation on test server, communication
David is away for one week during sprint 24.
Main layout later tasks
The main layout needs to be extended with the following functions:
- message or alert area where tabs/forms can place messages
- bookmarks option so that people can bookmark a tab (with hopefully the data it shows).
Resource requirement and timing:
- The first task is little work (8 hours or so), the second one is probably 2 manweeks of work to implement.
- Sprint 27
Upgrade to Smartclient Nightly Build (8.0)
This task is not listed in the global scrum backlog. We need to upgrade to the latest version of Smartclient so that we can make use of newer features and have more assurance on what we do will work on the 8.0 release also.
The nightly build can be downloaded from here.
Note that this task has become of lower priority as we can also use Selenium with the 7.0 release which we currently use.
Resource requirement and timing:
- Probably 3-4 mandays of work
- Sprint 25
Main Layout Testing
The new user interface should be testable through Selenium. As we have the main layout available a first test can be started on t
Planning and Resources:
- Leo: to implement tests for the navigation bar
- Martin/Ivan: to make changes in Openbravo/Smartclient to facilitate testing
- Sprint 24 and 25
Automated Smoke testing
The eventual goal of this task is to convert the current automated smoke tests to the new user interface. Initially this requires detailed study and prototyping to identify challenges and obstacles. It is difficult to estimate but it will at least take 2 people 2 sprints to be able to show results here.
Resource requirement and planning:
- 2-3 manmonths
- Sprints 26 + 27
Sales Order Entry Implementation in new UI
This task has as goal to implement the implement the sales order entry window in the new user interface. See here for an overview of the different parts of this form.
- New tab layout: parent-child: this has been delivered to Smartclient as a prototype so that they can validate if they can develop this complex parent child handling. In any case it will take us effort to incorporate their results in our solution.
- Form implementation:
- Toolbar implementation
- Implementation of different fields types: text, string, numeric, date, suggestion box, selector (re-using the existing selector definitions)
- Collapseable field groups
- callout handling and display logic: a generic solution has to be found to support the current format of the display logic and
- internal form logic: enabling/disabling field, display logic, tabbing through fields, exit warning
- backend code for storing data, retrieving data, performing actions etc.
- Grid implementation with paging and filtering
- Tab header which shows record information
- Toolbar: 2 manweeks
- Field types: around 3 manweeks (mainly for the foreign key field types)
- Collapseable field groups: 1-2 days
- Callout handling, display logic: 1-2 week
- Internal form handling: 3-4 manweeks
- Backend code: 2-3 manweeks
- Grid with filters: 3-4 manweeks
- Styling: 2 manweeks
- QA: 2 manweeks
Total resource requirement: 23 manweeks.
Generate windows for new UI
This task converts the sales order entry implementation to an environment which makes it possible to generate all the windows from the AD_Window table.
Estimate: 2 people 2 months
Linked Items View
Implement Process Window in new UI
The MyOB tab is the start page for the enduser. It contains widgets which can show information from many information sources (news feeds, other websites, etc.). A broad overview document can be downloaded [here].
Some key aspects:
- widgets can be anything from queries in the database which are then processed through a template, a news feed, an igoogle gadget, etc.
- widgets are defined by consultants, or more complex ones are implemented by developers
- widgets can be enabled by role and user
- widgets can have parameters which are settable by user
- widgets have a refresh rate which determines how often de widget content is refreshed
- a user can organize the widgets available to him/her on the first tab, widgets can be hidden or resized, the widget organization is persisted so that it is restored when the user returns
The MyOB development will consists of the following phases:
- Backend implementation (incl. maintenance windows, tables, webservices)
- Front end implementation
- Implementation of some sample widgets
When dividing the tasks over sprints the following subdivision can be made:
- Sprint 24: design and backend implementation, start front end implementation
- Sprint 25 + 26: front end implementation + styling
- Sprint 27: QA and packaging
The estimate is that 2 people will need to work MyOB, so in total around 5 manmonths of work.
Openbravo 3.0 Developers Guide
This is a complete rework of the current developers guide to incorporate all the new user interface development methods. The developers guide can be partially constructed from the existing documentation available in the new user interface developments and partially from existing materials.
- Estimate: 2 people 2 months
- Sprint 27 + 28
Improve field entity in AD: default, calculated, mandatory
- Linked items (navigation defined by expresion)