Projects:WAD Hints Generation/Functional Specifications
WAD Hints Generation - Functional Specifications
Help is accessible by clicking the help button in the top right side of the application, when it is clicked a help window is shown with information about the window, tab and fields for the current tab.
New Openbravo ERP users have to permanently click on this button to obtain help of the different elements in each tab.
The purpose of this project is to make this help more accessible showing a hint box each time the users moves the mouse over any element.
Hints will be shown for all the WAD generated elements.
- Hint: It is a text box that appears over the element where the mouse is containing its help.
User roles & profiles
This feature, which can be very useful for beginners, can be annoying for advanced users, so it will be configurable depending on the user. Making possible to show hints for one user but not for another one using the same application.
Business process definition
When the user has active this feature and moves the mouse over an element a hint box will be shown.
The elements that have the capacity of showing a hint are:
- Menu entries: currently they are modifying the browser status bar, but in Firefox by default this modification is inactive so there is no effect.
- Window: Window help will be displayed moving over the window name that is located on the top-right side of the page.
- Tab: Tab help will be displayed moving the mouse over the tab name, both for the currently select tab and for its ancestors and descendants.
- Fields: Help for fields will be displayed moving the mouse over its label.
- Buttons: Help for buttons will be displayed moving the mouse over the button.
- Grid view: In this view it would be nice to show the hint when moving the mouse over the column title.
Functional requirements based on business processes
|1.2||Modify WAD and the required classes (menu generator, tabs...) to use hints.||Must have||To be started||5d|
|1.3||Make possible to activate/deactivate hints using a preference and prepare UI to edit it.||Must have||To be started||1d|
User Interface Mockups
The following image shows the elements that will contain hint ability.
Open Discussion Items
Closed Discussion Items
Help vs. description
The elements that have help have also a description field. This description field is shorter than help. Currently this information is not used anywhere.
It might make sense to show the description rather than the help. The advantages of doing so are:
- Sometimes help is very long and could make to have a hint too big that may difficult the usage.
- It is possible to use HTML code in the help field whereas it is not possible to do in description. HTML shouldn't be shown in hints.
Resolution: Description is going to be used.