Openbravo 3.0 RC7 available
Release date: May 20th, 2011
Openbravo 3.0 RC7 is the seventh release candidate of the 3.0 series.
This release delivers a fully functional 3.0 distribution intended for:
- Production usage by early adopters in new implementations.
Release candidates are incomplete versions of 3.0, delivering a subset of the 3.0 road map. New functionality has been thoroughly tested but should be considered not yet proven.
Early adopters interested in deploying Openbravo 3.0 RC7 for new implementation projects are recommended to thoroughly test planned business processes before deploying release into a production environment.
Check out what's new, the known issues and frequently asked questions about the next release of Openbravo. As always, you are encouraged to tell us what you think, by raising an issue in issues.openbravo.com or discussing it in the Early Releases Discussion forum.
- Re-location of fields according to the new 4 columns layout in all windows: the form view windows change from a layout of 2 columns (in Openbravo 2.50) to a layout of 4 columns in Openbravo 3. All windows in Openbravo have been reviewed and fields re-located to take full advantage of this new layout. A new collapsed section named “More information” is added for other meaninful (but less frequenlty used) fields.
- Status Bar: this is another improvement in the window form view layout. The status bar is the bar that is on top of the form and includes the navigation buttons (previous, next, close). It is possible to configure fields to be shown in the Status Bar. Usually the main non-editable fields will be included (eg. Document status, Totals, etc.), but any field can be placed there. This presentation helps to convey the main status information of that document.
- Attachments: this is a very well know historical capability of Openbravo that has now been migrated to Openbravo 3. It is possible to attach any file (images, pdf’s, docs, etc.) to any document/record in the system. For example, you can save all project releated documentation linked to each project. With Openbravo 3 this feature is easier to use than ever.
- Financial Account window migrated to Openbravo 3 user interface: the Financial Account window is the main component of the new financial flows included in Openbravo 3. Because this window included a manual form (the Transaction tab) when it was originally implemented in Openbravo 2.50, it was shown in classic mode in Openbravo 3. This manual form has now been removed (the Transaction tab is now implemented as a standard Application Dictionary component). As a result the Financial Account window is shown with the new UI and the Transaction tab has much better usability than it had. This is a great demonstration of the Openbravo 3 power: code that is easier to develop and maintain provides much better usability!
- Remittances: Remittances is a very common financial feature in some countries (eg. Spain) that was not supported in the new financial flows. This feature is delivered as a community module, not included in the Openbravo 3 distribution. It has several improvements over the previous version on the old financial flows.
- Remittances feature requires several improvements over the new financial flows.
- Remittances feature supports different file generation formats such as the Spanish ones : "Cuaderno 19" , "Cuaderno 58" and "Cuaderno 34".
Each of these file generation formats is delivered as an optional commercial module (free for Professional Subscription instances), not included in the Openbravo 3 distribution.
- Exclude columns from Audit: Added possibility of excluding individual columns of a table from the Audit Trail functionality.
- Pop-up windows replaced with modal application windows: one of the most commonly reported usability issues in Openbravo 2.50 was a browser's pop-up blocker preventing an Openbravo pop-up window from opening. In RC5 we started a replacement of the pop-up windows by modal application windows that are not blocked by the browser. Now most of them are replaced and only a few (less common events) are left. Please let us know if any of those that remain provide a negative user experience.
- Ability to execute processes in header when focus is in lines: in previous versions of Openbravo 3 it was not possible to process an order when the focus was in the lines tab. This has now been addressed so that the process buttons in the header are accessible when the focus is the lines, making the process much easier to complete.
- Performance Improvements: several improvements have been done to improve the responsiveness of the system. Grid-scrolling, editing the grid, navigating to linked records, callout execution, etc. are all much faster and smoother than before.
- Internal improvements: invisible to users, but still very important to mention. When Openbravo 3 reaches MP0 (General Availability) we will not make any change that might reduce the stability of the system. Therefore these infrastructure changes are happening now. It includes:
- Code clean-up: several deprecated components in Openbravo code have been removed from the system as they are no longer needed. In anticipation of a modified Openbravo 2.50 instance using a deprecated component we have created a module named “Legacy features no longer available in Core” to make the upgrade easier. Those instances should remove any dependency to that module as it is not going to be maintained! Besides a new public module named "Import Data" is also available. This module contains all the componets related to the old Import Data Load functionality that is replaced in Openbravo 3 with Initial Data Load module.
- Library Update: most of the third party libraries used by the Openbravo code have been updated to newer versions. Most prominent are the changes from Jasperreports 3.0.1 to 4.0.1, and hibernate 3.2.5 to 3.6.3
- 16816: NPE when installing a commercial module in a community instance.
- 16872: Open in new tab: performance improvement.
- 16492: It is not possible to use 'EXECUTE' command in callouts in Openbravo 3.
- 14367: Payment monitor section wrongly updated as "Payment complete" even when the payment docu is in awaiting execution.
- 16717: Links in payment report are not working correctly.
- 16882: Incorrect configuration of currency conversion rates window.
- 17003: M_INOUT_CREATE, Products are not taken in the correct order. Movements between bins modifies the FIFO order.
- 17122: General Ledger Report in XLS format gets Strings instead of numbers.
- 15623: The ordering options of payment report do not order well.
- 16455: Payment report: After selecting a partner o several partners and clicking for the results all of them are removed
- 15884: CurrentDSO and Overdue columns are being calculated wrong.
- 15789: There is no way to back to General Ledger Report
- 16090: An exception is always raised when executing Initial Org Setup
- 16374: Error when posting an invoice with payments in different currencies
- 16624: Some orders are not fully delivered and makes "Create Invoices from Orders" data not consistent
- 16719: you can delete a tree node with sons
- 16788: Invoice terms is not shown in sales order window
- 16791: Accounting Tab for Warehouse is populated wrongly
- 17001: Error in visualization when executing General Ledger Journal with 'Show Entry Description' checked
- 17063: Sales invoice: Create lines from is not working well
- 17088: The euroInform in Format.xml.template is different from the other euro formats
- 17129: Linked items broken: just showing error msg in browser: "Session attribute required 165AD_Process_ID'
- 15773: Errors in Pending Work Requirement
- 15803: Errors in Daily Work Requirements Report
- 15996: Errors in 'Shipments Dimensional Report' and 'Sales Dimensional Report' are not clear
- 16100: 'Vendor Invoice Report' and 'Invoice Detail' don't show financial invoice
- 16671: Date can be modified in a processed Internal Consuption
- 16699: Product Selector cleared after seaching in the Price List Report
Check the complete list of the new functionality in the Openbravo development roadmap (already available features are marked with a delivered sign ).
Check the complete list of fixed issues and API changes.
- 17040: install.source on 64 bits needs more than 1GB. It is recommended to increase the ANT_OPTS with -Xmx1280M at least.
- 16452: On Windows Openbravo won't start if the installation path contains a space
- Upgrade path from Openbravo 2.50 to Openbravo 3.0 RC7 is not supported. We plan to make it available with 2.50 MP31 (End of June 2011).
- It has been reported that in some cases the rebuild process requires more RAM memory. It is recommended to run the virtual appliances with at least 1.5GB of RAM. We plan to review and solve this issue in the following weeks.
- Not all the modules available for 2.50 are available with 3.0 RC7 but significant portion is. Openbravo plans to make 100% of its modules available for 3.0 in the coming months. The availability of third party modules is outside of Openbravo's control.
|Appliance||Mercurial||Source code tarball|
|QEMU-Parallels||VirtualBox||VMware||Xen||Clone (tag: 3.0RC7)||Download|
Amazon EC2 AMIs (32bit)
Europe (eu-west-1): ami-aeffc9da
US east coast (us-east-1): ami-5426d83d
US west coast (us-west-1): ami-17c99a52
Asia Pacific (ap-southeast-1): ami-acfe87fe
|The Ubuntu package is ready in our Launchpad PPA. It has been delivered to the Canonical archive admins, and following their QA procedure it will be available in the Partner Repository within a few days. Until this happens you can install it from the PPA.|
|These are Community deliverables. The Openbravo Appliance as a installable ISO and for 64bit CPUs are available only for Professional Edition users and they can be downloaded from the Partner Restricted Area.|
We have set up our online demo so that it's easier for you to test this 3.0 RC7 release. Select the Country and the language to log in. Check it out!
To set up the Appliance of this Openbravo release, follow the installation guide. Note that even if the guide is written for the 2.50 version it is also valid for this 3.0 RC7 release.
Other resources and links
- Get information about previous releases in the Release History page.
- Detailed information about overall Openbravo 3.0 release progress is available in Openbravo 3.0 Release Status document.
- Openbravo 3.0 Documentation.
- Openbravo 3.0 Template Forge Project.
- Learn more about the benefits of Openbravo Professional Edition.
- Learn more about the open source Openbravo project
Related blog posts:
Finally, we give our thanks to the Openbravo Community which continues to support us with their valuable time and knowledge.
We also thank all Openbravo users for making Openbravo a huge success.