A Quotation is not a sales order document type but a different document type named "Quotation" linked to a specific document sequence.
The overall flow is very simple:
- Create a sales quotation
- Create a sales order from the sales quotation or reject the quotation
Actions in quotations
- Book: this action allows to process the quotation
- Reactivate: this action allows to add, remove or modify a quotation line/s
- Create a sales order: this action converts the quotation into a sales order
- Reject: this action cancel/reject the quotation
Statuses of the quotation
- Draft: Enter, remove and modify lines is allowed in this status. This status is reached after clicking New or reactivating the document
- Under evaluation: After booking the quotation. In this status the document cannot be changed. Further actions are:
- Create a sale order
- or Reject the quotation
- Closed - Order created: After creating the sales order the document turns into this status. No further actions are allowed
- Closed - Rejected: When the quotation finally is not accepted by the customer. It is mandatory to enter a reject reason. No further actions are allowed
Create a sales quotation and process it when ready.
Header lists the main terms and conditions related to the customer quotation that will be used in the heading of its printed copy and further in its order, shipment and invoicing process.
In majority of the cases main (and the only) field needed to create a new quotation is the Business Partner field. All other fields are automatically populated based on the selected Business Partner, logged in User preferences and other system default parameters.
Some other fields to note are :
- Valid Until: This field's logic is not implemented yet
- Reject reason: This field informs about the reason why a quotation has been rejected by a customer. It is mandatory when rejecting a quotation.
Things to consider:
- A new button Create Order appears when the status is Under Evaluation. When pressing the button, a sales order is created based on the quotation.
- The status of newly created sales order is Booked. It is possible to change the "Invoice Terms" of the sales order as well as to "Reactivate" it if the sales order needs to be modified.
- Prior to create a sales order the system shows a flag named Firm quote which is marked as default:
- if selected it establishes a commitment with the customer for the supply of a given quantity of goods at a quoted price, therefore the sales order will be identical as the quote
- if not selected a change in the price list later on will modify the quoted prices same way in the sales order. Discounts and Promotions will also be recalculated applying the new ones based on the transaction date (the Date when you execute the button)
Add products to be included in your sales quotation. Each product can be added by creating a new line.
Lines tab lists each product to be quoted and its characteristics.
Book button completes the sales quotation when all the products are entered.
This tab shows the taxes related to the quotation line.
Line Tax read-only tab details taxes information for each line of a sales order based on its Tax field which is automatically pre-filled according to the Taxes Setup.
This sales quotation tab lists information about the discounts automatically applied and/or manually entered for the document.
Edit the taxes applied to the quotation.
Summarizes tax related information for the whole sales quotation. Contains as many records as tax rates used in the quotation.
Full list of Sales Quotation window fields and their descriptions is available in the Sales Quotation Screen Reference.