The goal of the retrospective is to build a common understanding of the past sprint and learn lessons from it. What practices worked well? What do we need to improve?
According to current timeboxing rules at Openbravo the meeting is limited to 30 minutes. We have therefore adopted a practice of collecting items from the team members before the meeting so the meeting focuses on discussing them.
- Take a joint look back at the past sprint
- What significant things happened throughout the time of the sprint?
- Arrange these events on a timeline for all the team to see
- Identify the things that worked well in this sprint
- Identify the things that did not work well in this sprint
- Split these items to improve into
- Team items: Can be improved by the team, ScrumMaster and Product owner
- Organization items: Need action from/with the outside
- Identify what needs to be done to address each of these problems
- Group items that can be addressed together
- Prioritize both Team and Organization lists: Most important items to the top
- Prioritized list of team-resolvable impediments and their next steps, added to the product backlog
- Prioritized list of organizational impediments and next steps to solve them, added to the impediment backlog on the team spreadsheet.