The first part is to set the conditions for the Sprint and to identify what work the team can commit to.
Following the current timeboxing rules at Openbravo this meeting is limited to 90 minutes.
- Set the start and end dates for the Sprint
- Set meeting schedule for next Review, Retrospective and Sprint planning meetings
- Review availability for all team members during this period
- Review the near part of the product backlog (the part that might be scheduled today)
- Make sure each task is crystal clear to all team members
- If priorities are wrong or tasks are missing, amend them now
- Estimate items in Story points
- Select the stories that the team can commit to
- If there are tasks that the team wants to commit but is not 100% sure about they should at most be accepted as Stretch goals but not be committed
- Start and End dates of the Sprint are set
- Availability of team members for the sprint is known
- Schedule for the meetings at the end of the Sprint is defined
- Tasks needed for current Sprint are all estimated in Story points
- Prioritized list of stories from the backlog has been committed by the team for the Sprint
The second part is where the team transforms the chosen work into a specific action plan for themselves. The detail out their steps to accomplish their goals.
Following the current timeboxing rules at Openbravo this meeting is limited to 60 minutes.
- Create a new Spreadsheet for the sprint
- Copy over the committed stories from the Product backlog
- Copy over the identified Retrospective items from the Product backlog
- Identify and estimate all subtasks needed for the stories
If at this point the sprint goals are found to be unachievable because of unforeseen details, the Product owner must be alerted and the team must discuss how much needs to be dropped in order to make the Sprint reasonable.
- Spreadsheet for the new sprint is prepared
- populated with the chosen tasks
- populated with items identified in the Retrospective
- For each story the necessary subtasks are identified
- If the team plans with hours: hours for each subtask have been estimated
- Team is ready to start working