Talk:How to Set Up Discounts for Early Payment
- use short and clear setences, that helps to better understand.
- please use a formal tone, avoid the use of "You should...." make it impersonal.
- do not use Openbravo application images unless what it is going to be shown is very relevant. All these images need to be customized and we want to avoid putting a lot of effort on maintaining customized images all along documentation.
--Psanjuan 11:03, 28 June 2012 (UTC)
This section must describe mainly the business process which is going to be executed by using Openbravo. Therefore I would not start this how to by saying "This how to is about.....", but explaining:
- What an early payment discount is?
- You said: "Early Payment Discounts are discounts granted for settlement of an order before payment comes due", why order? I guess you meant "Invoice".
- What make it different from other discount type
- the only but huge different is that this kind of discounts are granted if the payment of the invoice is received in advanced, therefore I think we are using Openbravo normal "discounts" as early discounts, right?
- Why a company uses this kind of discounts
- put at least an example
- what the key message while talking about early payment discounts is
- I think the key message here is that Openbravo does not support "pure" early payment discounts but early payment discounts agreed and included in the invoice. Please see below.
- and what the accounting is
- put an example).
Also as you stated in the last sentence, we need to be very clear here because the only early discount type we allow is early discounts agreed and included in the invoice.
We also need to explain that "pure" early payment discounts do not agreed and included in the corresponding invoice are not supported by Openbravo. That would imply:
- the discount can be named in the invoice header (2/10 n 30, etc) but without any impact on invoice totals. Based upon the invoice date plus the terms date, if payment is received within the stipulated time the discounted portion is recorded as an expense and the invoice is closed as fully paid.
--Psanjuan 10:33, 28 June 2012 (UTC)
In order to be consistent with the template, please start this section as:
"In Openbravo, the company in this example will have to....." List the steps very briefly to be explained more in deep later on, including the reason why we do need those steps.
the key here is ; Let's take for instance a 10% Early Payment Discount as the customer has committed to pay the corresponding invoice on the following 5 days."
(that is the difference the customer has committed, we trust him/her, therefore that discount is included in the invoice as any other discount, we do not wait until the payment.
List them (steps) very briefly here mainly explaining the reason why we need those steps. --Psanjuan 10:50, 28 June 2012 (UTC)
Creation of a product
Explain why a product needs to be created, as this is not very intuitive, nor for people do not used to Openbravo, if you did it already it's fine.
Instead of saying: Products are defined in Master Data Management || Product, please state: "Products are created and maintained in the Product window". Just to be consistent with the User Guide and to get that the reader can get information about it. Having said that you should only explain relevant fields and information.
Here I would mention the fields:
- Product Category
- Product Type : why services? - this point is related to the explanation of what do we need a product to reflect a discount.
--Psanjuan 11:06, 28 June 2012 (UTC)
Creation of a Product. Accounting tab:
I'd say that there are two fields to mandatory fill in:
- Product Expense, that is the ledger account needed to post sales early payment discounts as expenses.
- Product Revenue, that is the ledger accont needed to post purchase early payment discounts as revenue.
Please do not use Financial Account but ledger account or account, to avoid misunderstandings. --Psanjuan 11:11, 28 June 2012 (UTC)
Creation of an Early Payment Discount
same feedback here, please be consistent with the user guide.--Psanjuan 11:14, 28 June 2012 (UTC)
Business Partners set up
same feedback here, please be consistent with the user guide.--Psanjuan 11:16, 28 June 2012 (UTC)
Discount tab is already explained in the user guide. Please refer to it and highlight only the relevant fields.
Sales Invoice creation
I've rephrased it a little bit as: "Once everything is setup, the next step is to create the sales invoice. Once done it is important to check that a discount has been automatically included in the Discount Tab after the invoice has been completed.
A new line is included on the Invoice Line Tab. That line is the discount Line which won’t appear on the Invoice Form."
The reason why is because we need to use a "formal" tone. Greg will also review this, just for you to know.
Is there any additional setup required? I've followed all the steps and discount line does not automatically appear.--Psanjuan 11:30, 28 June 2012 (UTC)
Please show and explain the accounting - --Psanjuan 11:34, 28 June 2012 (UTC)